Friday, August 1, 2014

Day 70-Charlottesville to Manassas VA

We had our second to last circle up this morning, everyone was really excited to get on the road and get just one step closer to arrival. As usual at the end of the circle up we dedicate the ride so someone and today our Logistics Coordinator Zack had the idea of dedicating this ride to ourselves and to everything we have done as a team and the impacts we have made across the country this summer. That really set the mood for me for the ride and I spent a lot of the 42 miles with Hayden and Max just in my head thinking back to friendship visits that were really meaningful to me, made a lasting impact on who I am, and brought me very close friends like Denis and his family. I was remembering all the times with team that I will never forget and all the tough rides we powered through together like getting into Yellowstone with Randy and Dylan, probably the most mentally and physically drained I have been on any ride. The ride today just disappeared before we knew it, over some hills and through some street lights and all of the sudden we were at lodging.

After showers we sent the vans to go get cleaned inside and out so they look real good riding in arrival tomorrow. We also had to consolidate everything we need into our backpacks because we are dropping off our duffel bags tonight and won't see them until after arrival. While we were waiting around to go to dinner the South team came to our lodging to shower, it was the first time we have seen their team so I got to see Keegan and Zack finally, the guys from ASU. It was very cool to meet their team but they have a very different team than us and it makes me feel very lucky to be on the route I am with the guys on this team. 

Tonight we had the full team dinner with both the North and South Route. It was a blast getting all ASU guys together and meeting the guys on South route. We just hung out until we had to take care of some business items to prepare for arrival. We set up our picture with all the routes and crew members to take at the capital and walked through what the arrival will look like and where to go during and after the arrival. Just about 12 hours left until my tires hit the capital lawn with the entire Journey of Hope team. We were hoping to learn the arrival order at dinner but we will find out at stage up right before we leave, the anticipation is killing me but I also will not really care either way, I know we will be first or second to North route. We also got to see KT again at dinner who, before we left, complimented our team on how great we are doing and the respect we showed and that he could tell we had the right attitude. His respect for us is an amazing compliment to me and the team for how hard we have worked so I am so proud of everyone.

Tonight we had a short team meeting to wrap up our leadership development with a few quotes and then talked about arrival and the ride tomorrow, 35 miles to stage up. After the meeting we laid out our jerseys and got them signed by everyone on the team, this one will be getting framed for me to carry with me for the rest of my life along with every man who signed it.

 At stage up we will have an hour and a half or more to hang out, the stage up is at George Washington where Scott goes to camps who wants us to go to this really good deli for lunch that is nearby. We ride into the capital at 11 and all hell will break loose after that, speeches, pictures, hugs, crying, family, friends, chapter brothers, our rose, it will be insane. I can't wait to take it all on. I am also very excited for the 35 miles because we are finishing it off the way it started with Dean, Evan and I riding together.

No comments:

Post a Comment