Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day 12-Spokane WA to Twin Lakes ID

Some additions to yesterday's post. Yesterday was the other Sam's birthday and the day before was Alex's so we went to a bar near lodging and hung out for a bit and played some pool, it was great to finally drink with all the guys and celebrate the birthdays and belated birthdays (including mine) with everyone

Today we finally left Washington and made it over to Idaho, our first state border of the trip!! We had a very short ride from Spokane to Twin Lakes Idaho, just 32 miles in total and very easy terrain, it was over before we knew it which was a very weird feeling after so many 80+ mile days. But it was an awesome ride still, I rode with Evan and Jeff who was having ankle pain so we were not pushing the speed too much but we really didn't need to, we were showered and eating crew chief lunch by 11 at lodging.
We are staying at camp Twinlow tonight which is awesome cuz I miss summer camps and being here reminds me a lot of Camp Orkila. This camp is on a beautiful lake and after lunch a bunch of us walked down to the dock and just laid down and took a nap, it was the perfect temperature with just a little cooling breeze. We had a lot of free time since we don't have a frienship visit here so a couple vans went to go search for a hike that one of the staff told us about but we never ended up finding the hike we just kept driving up forest roads going up this mountain and ended up finding a great view to hang out at and walked around down some trails that didn't end up being trails, they all ended after 100ft or so. It was a beautiful area, I have never seen much of Idaho so I wasenjoying the drive and the walk. I can't believe that I have this opportunity, I know I am doing this to benefit people with disabilities and spread awareness but this is also an incredible trip, 27 Pi Kappa Phi brothers making their way across the country all summer just having a blast, I love it. So many adventures yet to come.

This evening was another leadership development meeting about our values and how they benefit us as leaders. The most important value to me is happiness/optimism. I think the attitude a person has can change the outcome or perception of an outcome of any situation. I have thought about this many times but the last couple years have been a couple of the happiest years of my life. It isn't because everything is going my way and I am getting everything I want but I have just been able to remain in this positive mindset about anything going on and always looking towards the good things around me and letting all the negativity just bounce off me. I think this mindset is beneficial to me as a leader because it can change the attitude of those around you and keep a group from falling apart after a tough time.
Following our leadership development we had our weekly bike maintenance and deep clean, I thought this was going to be a really annoying thing but I very much enjoy it. I am finally learning how to keep my bike in good working condition and clean all the dirt and grim off to keep it performing like it was brand new. I am excited to see how it feels freshly spruced up for the ride tomorrow, although it is another short one, 35 or 40 miles I believe. I am looking forward to an amazing bridge we get to ride on tomorrow though, I heard it is a beautiful mile long bridge, should be quite fun, I hope I get a chance to step off the bike to take a few pictures on the bridge or borrow a GoPro to snap some for you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment