Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day 23-Driggs, day off

This will be a memorable weekend for sure. The ranch that Pete and his family own that we are staying at is called Twin Creek Ranch. We didn't have any wake up time for this morning so people were rolling out of bed between 7am and 11am, I was up at 7 because I am just used to waking up early now so I just organized some pictures and blogs and Facebook posts until people started wondering into the main house. Our hosts cooked an amazing breakfast, eggs, sausage, and bacon. Right after that I headed down to the river with a crew to go canoeing. It was so fun, I don't remember the last time I went canoeing but it was gorgeous, we just took our time floating down and taking in the incredible views of the valey and distant mountains, you could clearly see the sharp peaks of the Tetons. After canoeing we came bin ack and relaxed, sat in the hot tub for a while, played some games, watched some world cup and ate lunch. In the afternoon I got to learn how to fly fish. A couple of the cyclists are really good at it and have been itching to fish every time we pass a nice river. Pete has a pond they stock with trout just to fish on, they always catch and release. We went down there and he taught me and another guy how to fly fish while the other two went off to go fish on their own. I would say I wasn't half bad at it, he told me to work on my casting but I had a great time, got one bite but he hadn't taught me how to reel it in so I pulled too hard and lost the fish. Kept at it but didn't catch anything, still a fun time and I would definitely try again if I have the opportunity. The evening we just chilled out at the house, everyone really wanted to take advantage of this time off the bike to recuperate after that 102 mile ride yesterday and prepare for the three 100+ mile days back to back starting tomorrow.
Tomorrow is going to be a crazy ride, starting off with a 4:30am wake up.
I have heard it is absolutely beautiful but we have two mountain passes, the first we know is steep and short on the way up and the way down is even steeper with switchbacks, depending on conditions we may not be able to ride down because it is too dangerous. If we can't ride they will drive us to the bottom so we can ride up the next pass. I hope we can ride down, that is the most rewarding part of struggling up a climb, I would hate to do 2 steep climbs in a row with no coasting downhill to give us a break. To add to that the weather conditions are 35°-50° with a 60% chance of rain and up to 50mph winds which will supposedly not be a head wind. I currently have a pile of clothes I am wearing for tomorrow, literally ever layer I own will be on me tomorrow, long sleeve under shirt, arm warmers, jersey, jacket, rain coat, shorts, leg warmers, full finger gloves. I think I will be able to beat the cold... Hopefully we all make it to Dubois WY, I would love to have everyone finish this last bit of tough rides, after this we have a lot more short rides, around 50 miles or so and it gets a lot more flat for a while too. Only 9 days to Denver, that's what I'm looking forward to right now it is getting so close and I will get to see my lovely girlfriend in Denver or Colorado Springs the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment